OUR CORE VALUES
GOOD. CLEAN. FAIR. FOOD FOR ALL.
The word good can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. For Slow Food, the idea of good means enjoying delicious food created with care from healthy plants and animals. The pleasures of good food can also help to build community and celebrate culture and regional diversity.
When we talk about clean food, we are talking about nutritious food that is as good for the planet as it is for our bodies. It is grown and harvested with methods that have a positive impact on our local ecosystems and promotes biodiversity.
We believe that food is a universal right. Food that is fair should be accessible to all, regardless of income, and produced by people who are treated with dignity and justly compensated for their labor.
FROM PLATE TO PLANET
As one of Slow Food USA's local chapters, Slow Food First Coast strives to celebrate the amazing bounty of food that is available in our region, and we also work to strengthen the connection between the food on our plates and the health of our planet. We are involved in:
- Raising public awareness, improving access and encouraging the enjoyment of foods that are local, seasonal and sustainably grown
- Caring for the land and protecting biodiversity for today's communities and future generations
- Performing educational outreach within their communities and working with children in schools and through public programs
- Identifying, promoting and protecting fruits, vegetables, grains, animal breeds, wild foods and cooking traditions at risk of disappearance
- Advocating for farmers and artisans who grow, produce, market, prepare and serve wholesome food
- Promoting the celebration of food as a cornerstone of pleasure, culture and community